Your engine’s temperature system is an extremely important element of your vehicle’s health. American Pride Automotive’s ASE-certified technicians will perform a professional inspection of the system, providing you with a complete analysis of the current conditions and the estimated cost of repair.
The engine cooling system is comprised of many different components that all must work correctly. Any one that fails can cause engine overheating. A breakdown in certain parts of this system can result in the total loss of an engine and its expensive repair or replacement.
The best way to prevent engine overheating is to perform regular checks and maintenance on your automotive heating and cooling system.
Your vehicle owner’s manual generally diagrams the layout of your particular car’s heating and cooling system. Trouble points to look for include:
- Radiator – usually found behind the front grill of your car. Check for holes in the face or breaches in the top or bottom cap where water is leaking out.
- Pressurized radiator cap on top of the radiator – never remove this cap when the car is hot. Look for leaks or wear points to replace.
- Radiator hoses – most vehicles have an upper and a lower hose; check for wear and holes at any point.
- Water-coolant mix – acts to protect your vehicle against any extremes of temperature. Ensure that there is a proper ratio mix of water to anti-freeze.
- Valve at the bottom of the radiator – release to empty or flush the coolant system.
- Thermostat – a component that regulates the temperature of the engine. Over time, thermostats tend to stick open or closed, malfunction and wear out.
- Water pump – essential to circulate water through the engine to keep it cool.
- Fan belt or serpentine – generally operates the water pump. Wear and tear to this component will cause engine overheating if it breaks, and should be replaced as part of your preventative maintenance.
Replacement of the engine’s anti-freeze is recommended every two years. Many service shops perform a routine “drain-and-fill,” but American Pride Automotive performs a complete radiator flushing service that includes the following (see the video below for more information):
- System inspection and pressure test for leaks
- Addition of flush chemicals to the radiator
- Power-flushing system through flush machine
- Refilling system with proper amount of anti-freeze
- Addition of sealant/lubricant to the system
- A 6-month/6,000-mile warranty