American Pride Automotive is a conveniently located authorized Virginia State Inspection Station, servicing residents and businesses of Yorktown, York County, Hampton, Newport News, Poquoson, Gloucester, Toano and Williamsburg.
As a full-service, AAA-accredited automotive repair shop with qualified ASE-certified technicians, we can repair any inspection violations to get you back on the road again quickly.
State Inspections for our Community
At American Pride, giving back to the community is part of our company culture and something we strive for every day. One of the ways we do this is by donating a portion of the proceeds from certified state inspections to local organizations with important missions and values. Past recipients include: Heritage Humane Society, Peninsula SPCA, Grove Christian Outreach Center and more. Learn more about our State Inspections for the Community program here.
Through the end of 2014, American Pride is proud to donate $5 of every state inspection fee to Hospice House and Support Care of Williamsburg.
American Pride is thrilled to contribute to this wonderful organization and we encourage you to choose us for your yearly state inspection. The cost for the inspection is no higher than anywhere else, but the benefit to the community is much greater.
Questions about the Virginia State Inspection process? See our FAQ below!
A. The sticker expires the last day of the month.
A. Vehicles that are at least 25 years old can be defined as “antique.” If a vehicle is registered as an antique through the Department of Motor Vehicles, it is exempt from state inspection.
A. The validity period of a rejection sticker is 15 days, in addition to the day of inspection.
A. The cost is $16.00 for a motor vehicle, including trailers and semi-trailers, and $12.00 for a motorcycle.
A. New vehicles purchased in Virginia that have been inspected in accordance with the manufacturer or distributor are not required to undergo the initial annual safety inspection. Placement of an inspection sticker on the windshield of a vehicle will be at the automobile dealer’s option.
A. If a police officer sees the expired sticker, or if you are pulled over for another reason you will be issued a ticket for not having a current inspection. As of early 2012 the ticket was $90.
Still have Questions? Email Us and we’ll add them to the FAQ.
Here’s the official Inspection procedure from the State Police:
REQUIRED OFFICIAL INSPECTION PROCEDURES
- REMOVE OLD INSPECTION STICKER.
- DRIVE VEHICLE INTO INSPECTION LANE.
- INSPECT BRAKES FOR: Worn, damaged or missing parts, leaks in system, proper fluid level.
- INSPECT PARKING BRAKE FOR: Broken or missing parts, proper adjustment, standard factory equipment or equivalent.
- INSPECT HEADLIGHTS FOR: Approved type, aim, and output. Condition of lamp, wiring and switch. Beam indicator.
- INSPECT OTHER LIGHTS FOR: Approved type, proper bulbs, condition of lenses, wiring and switch. Aim of fog and driving lamps. Illumination of all lamps, lens color and condition of lens.
- INSPECT SIGNAL DEVICE FOR: Approved type, proper bulbs, condition of lenses, wiring and switch; illumination of all lamps, lens color and condition of lens.
- INSPECT STEERING AND SUSPENSION FOR: Wear in bushings, kingpins, ball joints, wheel bearings, tie rod ends. Looseness of gear box on frame, condition of drag link and steering arm. Play in steering wheel. Wheel alignment and axle alignment. Broken spring leaves and worn shackles. Shock absorbers. Broken frame. Broken or missing engine mounts.
- INSPECT TIRES, WHEELS AND RIMS FOR: Condition of tires, including tread depth; condition of wheels.
- INSPECT MIRROR FOR: Rigidity of mounting. Condition of reflecting surface. View of road to rear.
- INSPECT HORN FOR: Electrical connections, mounting and horn button; emits sound audible for a minimum of 200 feet.
- INSPECT WINDSHIELD AND OTHER GLASS FOR: Approved type safety glass. Cloudiness, distortion or other obstruction to vision. Cracked, scratched or broken glass. Stickers. ALL UNAUTHORIZED STICKERS MUST BE REMOVED. Operation of left front door glass.
- INSPECT WINDSHIELD WIPER/DEFROSTER FOR: Operating condition; condition of blade.
- INSPECT EXHAUST SYSTEM FOR: Condition and leakage of gasses from motor to point discharged from system.
- INSPECT LICENSE TAGS FOR: Illumination of rear plate.
- INSPECT HOOD AND AREA UNDER THE HOOD FOR: Operating condition of hood latch; presence of emissions system; evidence that any essential parts have been removed, rendered inoperative or disconnected. Proper levels of brake fluid, power steering fluid. Power steering belt — proper tension, wear or absence.
- INSPECT AIR POLLUTION CONTROL SYSTEM (1973 and Subsequent Models) FOR: Installation and operation. Includes the catalytic converter and the fuel tank filler pipe.
- INSPECT DRIVER’S SEAT FOR: Anchorage, location, condition.
- INSPECT SEAT BELTS FOR: Approved type, installation.
- INSPECT DOORS AT THE RIGHT and LEFT SIDE OF THE DRIVER’S SEAT FOR: Handle or opening device, which will permit the opening of the door from the outside and inside.
- INSPECT VEHICLE LATCHING SYSTEM FOR: Holding door in its proper closed position.
- INSPECT FUEL SYSTEM FOR: Any part that is not securely fastened. Liquid fuel leakage; fuel tank filler cap for presence.
- INSPECT FLOOR PAN FOR: (a) Holes which allow exhaust gasses to enter occupant compartment, (b) Conditions which create a hazard to the occupants.
- ISSUE STICKER: (a) If approved, place approval sticker on the vehicle, and give pink copy of certificate to operator, or (b) ALL DEFECTS MUST BE CORRECTED AND THE VEHICLE RE-INSPECTED WITHIN 15 DAYS. THE DRIVER MAY BE IN JEOPARDY OF RECEIVING A SUMMONS FOR ANY DEFECT STILL PRESENT ANY TIME THE VEHICLE IS OPERATED ON THE HIGHWAY.