State Inspections in Williamsburg, VA
Your Source for Dependable State Inspections
Unless you drive an antique car, Virginia requires annual state inspections of your vehicle. State inspections look for issues that can be unsafe for either you or other drivers. While they might seem inconvenient, state inspections are for your benefit. In the historic triangle, American Pride Automotive has been the locals’ choice for dependable state inspections since 1995.
Accurate State Inspections by Certified Technicians
At American Pride Automotive’s three locations— Williamsburg, Toano and Yorktown— our ASE-Certified technicians take state inspections seriously. We will ensure all our customers are safe when they hit the road. This means identifying any issues that need your attention and discussing the appropriate action to restore your vehicle’s condition. Whether you drive a domestic make or an import, new or older, our experienced team will inspect and repair your vehicle to keep you driving safely.
Community Driven Service On Every Visit
Your time is a commodity you can’t replenish. At American Pride Automotive, we strive to make your state inspections swift and accurate. When repairs are necessary to pass your inspection, we’ll determine a plan with you to make the situation as convenient as possible. As the locals’ choice for auto repairs, this includes all state inspections.
At American Pride, giving back to the community is part of our company culture and something we strive for every day. One of the ways we do this is by donating a portion of the proceeds from certified state inspections to local organizations with important missions and values. Past recipients include: Heritage Humane Society, Peninsula SPCA, Grove Christian Outreach Center and more. Learn more about our State Inspections for the Community program here.
Our current Community Star is Hospice House and Support Care of Williamsburg. American Pride is proud to donate $5 of every state inspection fee to this wonderful organization that provides humane end of life care to people in our community. The cost for the inspection is no higher than anywhere else, but the benefit to the community is much greater.
REQUIRED OFFICIAL INSPECTION PROCEDURES
- REMOVE OLD INSPECTION STICKER.
- DRIVE VEHICLE INTO INSPECTION LANE.
- INSPECT BRAKES FOR: Worn, damaged or missing parts, leaks in system, proper fluid level.
- INSPECT PARKING BRAKE FOR: Broken or missing parts, proper adjustment, standard factory equipment or equivalent.
- INSPECT HEADLIGHTS FOR: Approved type, aim, and output. Condition of lamp, wiring and switch. Beam indicator.
- INSPECT OTHER LIGHTS FOR: Approved type, proper bulbs, condition of lenses, wiring and switch. Aim of fog and driving lamps. Illumination of all lamps, lens color and condition of lens.
- INSPECT SIGNAL DEVICE FOR: Approved type, proper bulbs, condition of lenses, wiring and switch; illumination of all lamps, lens color and condition of lens.
- INSPECT STEERING AND SUSPENSION FOR: Wear in bushings, kingpins, ball joints, wheel bearings, tie rod ends. Looseness of gear box on frame, condition of drag link and steering arm. Play in steering wheel. Wheel alignment and axle alignment. Broken spring leaves and worn shackles. Shock absorbers. Broken frame. Broken or missing engine mounts.
- INSPECT TIRES, WHEELS AND RIMS FOR: Condition of tires, including tread depth; condition of wheels.
- INSPECT MIRROR FOR: Rigidity of mounting. Condition of reflecting surface. View of road to rear.
- INSPECT HORN FOR: Electrical connections, mounting and horn button; emits sound audible for a minimum of 200 feet.
- INSPECT WINDSHIELD AND OTHER GLASS FOR: Approved type safety glass. Cloudiness, distortion or other obstruction to vision. Cracked, scratched or broken glass. Stickers. ALL UNAUTHORIZED STICKERS MUST BE REMOVED. Operation of left front door glass.
- INSPECT WINDSHIELD WIPER/DEFROSTER FOR: Operating condition; condition of blade.
- INSPECT EXHAUST SYSTEM FOR: Condition and leakage of gasses from motor to point discharged from system.
- INSPECT LICENSE TAGS FOR: Illumination of rear plate.
- INSPECT HOOD AND AREA UNDER THE HOOD FOR: Operating condition of hood latch; presence of emissions system; evidence that any essential parts have been removed, rendered inoperative or disconnected. Proper levels of brake fluid, power steering fluid. Power steering belt — proper tension, wear or absence.
- INSPECT AIR POLLUTION CONTROL SYSTEM (1973 and Subsequent Models) FOR: Installation and operation. Includes the catalytic converter and the fuel tank filler pipe.
- INSPECT DRIVER’S SEAT FOR: Anchorage, location, condition.
- INSPECT SEAT BELTS FOR: Approved type, installation.
- INSPECT DOORS AT THE RIGHT and LEFT SIDE OF THE DRIVER’S SEAT FOR: Handle or opening device, which will permit the opening of the door from the outside and inside.
- INSPECT VEHICLE LATCHING SYSTEM FOR: Holding door in its proper closed position.
- INSPECT FUEL SYSTEM FOR: Any part that is not securely fastened. Liquid fuel leakage; fuel tank filler cap for presence.
- INSPECT FLOOR PAN FOR: (a) Holes which allow exhaust gasses to enter occupant compartment, (b) Conditions which create a hazard to the occupants.
- ISSUE STICKER: (a) If approved, place approval sticker on the vehicle, and give pink copy of certificate to operator, or (b) ALL DEFECTS MUST BE CORRECTED AND THE VEHICLE RE-INSPECTED WITHIN 15 DAYS. THE DRIVER MAY BE IN JEOPARDY OF RECEIVING A SUMMONS FOR ANY DEFECT STILL PRESENT ANY TIME THE VEHICLE IS OPERATED ON THE HIGHWAY.
Once I have registered my vehicle in the state of Virginia, how long do I have before my vehicle must be inspected?
There is no grace period. Once you have registered a vehicle with the Division of Motor Vehicles in the state of Virginia, it must be inspected immediately.
The sticker expires the last day of the month.
Vehicles that are at least 25 years old can be defined as “antique.” If a vehicle is registered as an antique through the Department of Motor Vehicles, it is exempt from state inspection.
The validity period of a rejection sticker is 15 days, in addition to the day of inspection.
The cost is $16.00 for a motor vehicle, including trailers and semi-trailers, and $12.00 for a motorcycle.
New vehicles purchased in Virginia that have been inspected in accordance with the manufacturer or distributor are not required to undergo the initial annual safety inspection. Placement of an inspection sticker on the windshield of a vehicle will be at the automobile dealer’s option.
If a police officer sees the expired sticker, or if you are pulled over for another reason you will be issued a ticket for not having a current inspection. As of early 2012 the ticket was $90.
Lights (brake lights, headlights, taillights), windshield wipers, cracked windshields, tires, and brake pads and rotors are the most common parts requiring replacement to pass inspection.
What if I think my vehicle is being failed just so I have to pay for repairs? Where can I just buy a sticker?
At American Pride our inspectors take their role seriously. The license to inspect vehicles belongs to the individual and not to the shop. State Inspectors must pass an exam every 4 years and can lose their license at any time if they are convicted of a misdemeanor or even receive a reckless driving ticket. The State Police enforce these rules very firmly, if an inspector is caught passing cars that should not pass, or selling stickers without doing an inspection, they will lose their license (which is part of their livelihood) and potentially face criminal charges. If you’re concerned about the legitimacy of an inspection you may contact the regional State Police office which you can find on their website.
No, neon lights are illegal anywhere on or in a vehicle in Virginia unless they are completely covered and unlit when being operated on public roads.
Experience the Best at
American Pride Automotive
- 24-Month/24,000-Mile Warranty on All Services
- ASE-Certified Technicians
- Authorized Jasper Distributor
- Jasper Diamond Award Recipient
- All-Star Award Winner, Ratchet+Wrench Magazine
- Two-Time Winner, AAA Shop of the Year
- Community Driven Service Excellence
- Three Convenient Shop Locations
For complete state inspections with dedicated customer service, visit American Pride Automotive. Use our convenient online form or call us today to book your next vehicle appointment.